CORRECTION:
**#4 in my plan should read the Summer of 2012. :)
If you would've asked me last week what my "plans" were for the next couple of years, It would've went something ike this:
1) Gain acceptance into the Online Nursing program at NOVA, begin classes this May, complete the program and graduate in August 2011.
2) Study and take my RN state board exam, pass the first time, and become an offical RN in the Fall of 2011.
3) Begin part-time work at a local hospital and begin contributing to the "Get the Longendyke's out of a townhouse" mission.
4) Save enough money to begin the process of looking for a SFH in a new area in Loudoun in the Summer of 2011.
5) Get all settled in our new neigborhood, just in time to register Sienna for kindegarten.
6) Continue to work part-time until all the kids are in school/pre-school, then switch to full-time nights or overnights.
7) Live happily ever after...with two incomes. :)
Well, God must have had a good ole' chuckle over my plan, and He nicely reminded me this past Saturday exactly who is in control. Not me. Sadly, I was not accepted into this program. Obviously, I was really upset and had to quickly figure out what I was going to do next. My only other option (that gives me the best chance of getting in) is to apply for the Traditional program. This program begins this Fall, is still the same amount of semesters (4) and classes (8), the only major difference is A) I have to go to Springfield for my classes and B) I'l have the summers off. So it's not accelerated like the online, it's more like a traditional 2 years of college. So, with my parent's permission and guidance (they will be watching the kids most of the time I'm in school...), I've decided to continue with this process and really hope to continue my dream of being a nurse! I'm hopeful and the admissions committee has reassured me that my qualifications are very competitive for this program. Fingers crossed!
You might be asking yourself, how does one NOT get into NOVA? Let me just tell you, this program is REALLY competitive! NOVA is known for being really inexpensive, their nursing program is really good, AND, it's pretty much the only online program here locally. Basically, everyone applying is just like me - older, already has a degree, probably has kids, wants this REALLY bad, etc. There were just too little spots and too many applicants for this program, and I have since found out from the admissions committee, that they were unable to accept anyone with a cumulative GPA lower than a 4.0. (I had a 3.4. It actually made it easier to know that I wasn't even close!) Yikes! Those Anatomy classes I took kicked my butt and believe me, I was pretty darn proud to walk away with two B's...not to mention, I was pregnant during the first one and gave birth during the second! Too bad I couldn't write that on my application! :)
So, here I am, feeling a bit lost and totally without a plan. I'm putting all my trust in God and I have complete faith that He will guide me to where I need to be.
No one said it would be easy. They just said it would be worth it.
Wednesday, April 07, 2010
Want to see God laugh? Make a plan.
Posted by party of five at 7:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
so true shannon!! Well, it seems like you have a good attitude about it. Now..can you also contribute to "get the Parker's out of a townhouse" as well?!?! hehe :)
I'm so sorry you didn't get accepted (and seriously only 4.0's!) but am so proud of you for your attitude and trusting that God's in control. I'm sure He will bless you more than you know for your faith in Him!
I love that quote! many times in my life I feel like HE reminds me who is in control, and you know what, it always works out in the end the way its meant to!
Shannon, so sorry to hear you didn't get accepted but it sounds like you already have "plan b" in the works. I'm a firm believer everything works out for a reason, and maybe you'll end up liking the "traditional" program even better in the end. Good luck with the next round of the admissions process, and I'm sure you'll make it and be on your way to being a nurse soon. And holy cow, I knew it was competitive based on speaking with you but a minimum of a 4.0? That is crazy!!!
Sorry the expedited program didn't work out...I'm so glad to hear that you decided to pursue the traditional route now. You will get through all of this, and become a great nurse! P.S. We can meet up for lunch and stuff more because you'll be in my neck of the woods going to the Springfield campus;)
Post a Comment